On November 9, Circle Chart (formerly Gaon) announced the most recent certifications for Korean albums and songs. Every month, they announce new certifications for albums and songs that have reached certain numbers of sales, downloads, or streams. These are always huge achievements for artists, and are worth congratulating when they’re announced!
For the album category, an album will receive a platinum certification at 250k sales, double platinum at 500k sales, triple platinum at 750k sales, and a million certification at one million sales (as well as double, triple, etc. for multiple-million sales).
For songs, there are two categories: Downloads and streaming. For downloads, a song will earn platinum at 2.5 million downloads, double platinum at 5 million downloads, triple at 7.5 million downloads, and diamond at 10 million downloads. For streaming, a platinum certification is awarded at 100 million streams, and a billion certification at a billion streams.
There are a ton of new certifications for the month of November, with one in particular standing out for how huge of a milestone it is!
BTS’s album Map of the Soul: 7, originally released on February 21, 2020, has now become the first five million certified seller ever in South Korea.
The only other album that comes close to reaching this milestone is BTS’s own 2019 Map of the Soul: Persona, which currently has around 4.6 million sales.
It just goes to show how much influence BTS has in the music industry, since Map of the Soul: 7 was released over two and a half years ago and still managed to make enough current sales to reach the five million mark!
Along with this huge achievement, BLACKPINK also made history for K-Pop girl groups by having their recent 2022 album, BORN PINK, become the first album by a girl group to earn a two million certification from Circle Chart.
BLACKPINK’s “DDU-DU DDU-DU” also became the first song by a K-Pop girl group to be certified double platinum for surpassing 200 million streams! It’s also only the fourth song ever to achieve this, surpassed only by BTS’s “Spring Day”, “Boy With Luv”, and “Dynamite”.
Here is a list of the other nine albums to earn new certifications this month:
- Regulate by NCT 127: Platinum certification
- The ReVe Festival: Day 1 by Red Velvet: Platinum certification
- Fancy You by TWICE: Double platinum certification
- The Dream Chapter: Eternity by TXT: Double platinum certification
- IM NAYEON by Nayeon: Double platinum certification
- ENTWURF by NMIXX: Double platinum certification
- Savage by aespa: Triple platinum certification
- The Chaos Chapter: Freeze by TXT: Million certification
- 2 Baddies by NCT 127: Million certification
And here are the other five songs to do the same through streaming:
- “Love Dive” by IVE: Platinum certification
- “TOMBOY” by (G)I-DLE: Platinum certification
- “Drunken Confession” by Kim Minseok: Platinum certification
- “Merry-Go-Round” by sokodomo (ft. Zion. T & Wonstein): Platinum certification
- “Ohayo My Night” by D-Hack & Pateko: Platinum certification
Congratulations to all of the artists who earned new certifications this month! It’s definitely something to be proud of.